Re: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-17 23:44:29

On Monday, July 17, 2006 10:11:07 AM -0400 Jeffrey Altman <jaltman(_at_)columbia(_dot_)edu> wrote:

For me Paris and Montreal were the
two worst meetings I have experienced in ten years because of the
separation of the IETF hotel from the meeting locations and the in
ability to provide network access in the hotel public spaces.  My
productivity dropped significantly because of those failures.

While I agree with most of what Jeff said, I have to comment on this.

I agree that having the hotel separated from the meeting locations is a significant issue, both because of the extra time required to travel between locations, and because of the lack of network connectivity. I actually found Vienna worse for this than either Paris or Montreal, because people were scattered across many hotels, often several blocks away from the meeting site.

However, the conference centers in both Paris and Montreal had excellent meeting facilities. The network last week was fabulous, and as Jeff pointed out in a message to the WG chairs list, Paris was where we first discovered the utility of having a few extra wireless mics for supporting round-table discussion.

The best IETF meetings from my perspective are those held in
Minneapolis.  The hotel understands what we need.  The lounge and bar
areas are smoke free and plentiful.  There is accessible food via the
habitrails.  Things just work.

I strongly agree.  We've been away from Minneapolis for too long.

-- Jeff