Re: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-13 07:09:13
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Henk Uijterwaal wrote:

I think it is quite simple: What matters to me is the total costs of meeting rooms, breakfast, coffee and connectivity, or the stuff covered by the registration fee. I'm prepared to pay a registration fee at roughly the current level for those things, plus the costs of my hotel room and plane ticket.

I'd expect you to be concerned about the total cost of lodging+registration, rather than just the registration fee treated in isolation.

According to the slides presented last night, the hotel room cost subsidizes the other items -- IASA got a commission on the room block in Dallas and presumably will get one here. And, as Jordi pointed out, the convention in many regions is for hotels to provide breafast, which presumably shifts the breakfast cost from the meeting fee into the hotel room cost. One might imagine that we could even charge more for hotel rooms and less for registration across the board.

There's some fungibility here, and focusing on just one of the participants costs (e.g., the registration fee) seems unwise.

-- Sam