Re: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-14 08:38:34
On 14-jul-2006, at 11:04, Fred Baker wrote:

It looked to me like this meeting was a tad less than half from North America, perhaps 20% from Japan and China, and most of the rest from Europe. That argues for roughly half of our meetings being in North America, a meeting every other year in Asia, and the rest in Europe.

There is a measure of self-selection. If you look at the attendence for meetings on other continents you'll see different figures.

But apart from that, this makes sense, but it's only part of the picture. Not all places on a given continent are equally reachable. For instance, it's easier to get to New York from many places in Europe than to many medium-sized cities elsewhere in Europe. And flying to San Diego takes just about twice as long as to New York for me. Then there is the whole visa issue.