Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-carpenter-rescind-3683-00.txt]

2006-08-10 18:01:36
Frank,
I was the _only_ one who was NOT concerned by Brian's proposition. I did not intend to comment it, thinking it was a good way towards appeasement. However, I was everywhere in Harald's long ad-hominem (BTW mostly against the IETF appeal procedure). His point is against me.

There are two different issues:
- the IETF police which should be exercised by Sargents at Arms as everywhere, and a closed-door Honor Jury for ethical issues. - the nature of the Internet architecture. Harald embodies a vision (RFC 3935) where he influences the way I should design, use, and manage the internet and he wants to impose on me through his control of the IANA registry. I disagree with that way.

Maintaining confusion helps no one.
jfc

At 01:30 11/08/2006, Frank Ellermann wrote:

Harald Alvestrand wrote:

>>> Don't throw away the umbrella because you're buying a
>>> raincoat next week. It's still raining.

> 3683 = umbrella against a hail of messages
> Long term suspensions under draft-hartman = raincoat
> Brian's draft = "throwing away".

Oh, you prefer to keep 3683, instead of the status-quo antea
as specified in the draft.  In practice the difference would
be no mandatory "PR action last call" without 3683, anything
else (incl. appeals) as is, if I understood it correctly.

Frank