Re: Last Call: 'Calendaring Extensions to WebDAV (CalDAV)' to Proposed Standard (draft-dusseault-caldav)

2006-08-30 14:04:24
On 8/29/06, Julian Reschke <julian(_dot_)reschke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de> wrote:
>> Section 5.3.4., para. 4:
>>

>>      In the case where the data stored by a server as a result of a PUT
>>      request is not equivalent by octet equality to the submitted
>> calendar
>>      object resource, the behavior of the ETag response header is not
>>      specified here, with the exception that a strong entity tag MUST NOT
>>      be returned in the response.  As a result, clients may need to
>>      retrieve the modified calendar object resource (and ETag) as a basis
>>      for further changes, rather than use the calendar object resource it
>>      had sent with the PUT request. [[anchor22: See comments on ietf-
>>      discuss mailing list. --reschke]]
>>
>> -> Not fixed.
>
> Correct.

Yet, this is the problem I'm concerned about most.

Why can't the CalDAV spec note the ambiguity with Etags and move on? I
don't think it's appropriate for this document add semantics to the
general purpose ETag header with a MUST NOT, since "calendar object
resource" is meaningless from a general HTTP perspective.

also concerned,

Robert Sayre