RE: Now there seems to be lack of communicaiton here...

2006-08-31 11:08:22

Granted 3777 does not require the consultation of the community on disputes
involving the NOMCOM but given the highly unusual nature of the problem at
hand and the tendency of the IETF toward anal retentive behavior in matters
of process it seems reasonable to suggest that a wider set of views should
have been solicited.

I'm in complete agreement with Ned Freed here.

Full disclosure: My personal opinion, which I *did* give to Lynn and
Andrew when I became aware of this glitch, is that a reset is the only
way to be certain that the selection process is unbiased.

"Well, I have to say I think you provided some extremely bad advice, and I
sincerely hope that there isn't anyone on the first list that has an even
slightly acrimonious public relationship with Andrew. We could be in very
deep doo if there is."

And with Dave Crocker,

"Again, the underlying problem with the effort to fix the problem was that
that effort was made too fragile by involving too few people, for handling
such an exceptional situation."

However I'm willing to suggest that the damage has been done and we should
respect Andrew Lange's decision. I may disagree with the process by which
Andrew made his decision but in the final analysis a decision had to be made
and he did it.

If the error had been discovered before the random data became available,
the first choice would have been the obvious one.  However, it was not,
and
the situation is complicated by the fact that the list of volunteers did
not become available in time for anyone to challenge eligibility prior to
the random data becoming available.  Even before the error in the list was
discovered, I considered complaining about the timing issue and suggesting
the remedy of running the process with new random data that would not
become available before people had a chance to object (in other words, the
same remedy that Andrew ended up applying).

If you or anyone else feels that there is a problem, the correct course of
action as described by RFC 3777 is to bring the issue to the nomcom chair
and then, if the situation is not resolved to your satisfaction, take it
to the ISOC President as a formal dispute.  Nowhere does RFC 3777 suggest
that a suitable remedy is to complain on a public mailing list that you
were not personally consulted.

-- Jeff