Re: IESG response and questions to the normative reference experiment (draft-klensin-norm-ref-01.txt)

2006-09-04 04:19:51
On 12:10 04/09/2006, Brian E Carpenter said:
Looking at the current RFC editor queue, I count 25 IETF documents in
MISSREF*R state. A good number of been waiting for roughly a year, one
document for nearly 3.

Let's be clear that the experiment wouldn't automatically release
all of those 25 documents.  It would only allow ones to be released
that refer (normatively) to
  "o  Internet-Drafts of Standards Track documents for which IESG review
      has been completed and Protocol Action or Document Action notices
      have been issued."

Dear Brian,
I do not want to keep harping on the same topic. However, any specific reason why "Standar Track" only, and not BCP?. The ltru-matching example, you created and I quoted as an existing candidate, belongs to a BCP? I personally see no difference?

Or is it that BCP should be quoted by their own number and not by their RFC number, the reason why BCP Drafts are enforced as soon as approved by the IESG? I support that. I must say I start being confused by all these options to RFC 2026 simplicity.

I would also suggest to clarify the issue in having the text say "for which IESG review and appeal period have been completed ..." to coform with RFC 2026 and not to create a conflict with the duties of the RFC Editor (it is to make sure that texts are not harmful: they translated this in putting on Hold appealed documents).

Rather than overriding it with exeception, could we not consider this as an incitement at responding appeals in reasonable delays. This would avoid the question of and the need for suspensive appeals?

What used to work in the IETF was is not that it was decentralised and worked on general rought consensus?
jfc