RE: NOMCOM term limits... Re: Now there seems to be lack ofcommunicaiton here...

2006-09-05 08:35:49
    > From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>

    > The question to ask is why is there a NOMCON at all. Why not do what
    > every other major professional body does and hold elections with the
    > electorate being defined in the same way that NOMCON membership is?

Because we want to reduce the amount of politics in the IETF, and also try
and make the selection more careful. Rather than having everyone spend ten
minutes on deciding who to select, a subset (which the random draw hopefully
makes reasonably representative of the group as a whole) does a more in-depth
and thought-through selection.

    > I am not aware that this procedure has caused significant problems in
    > the IEEE or the ABA. Those are also volunteer organizations.

In some circles, the ABA (I assume you mean the "American Bar Association",
not the "American Banking Association" or any of the other organizations that
share that initialism) is seen as a clueless joke, and the ABA leadership
is a large part of the reason.

        Noel