Re: NOMCOM term limits... Re: Now there seems to be lackof communicaiton here...

2006-09-05 12:38:28
Phillip,

Consider the following situation, imagine that there is a vacancy for a
security area director, consider further that I wish for nefarious reasons to
secure the nomination of a particular candidate which left to its own devices
the NOMCON would be unlikely to choose. The first step in such a campaign
would be to draw up a matrix of the members of the NOMCON, the people who they
are most likely to respond to etc. It is unlikely that I need more than four
people prominent in the Security world to make a concerted recommendation in
favor of my candidate. I could do this without speaking to any member of the
NOMCON myself.

If you were a member of the NOMCON trying to fill a hard to fill post such as
Security or Routing and you had a series of people prominent in the area come
to you recommending a particular candidate the chances are that you would
follow the recommendation.

I'm not saying there is nothing in the Nomcom process that couldn't
be improved, but in the above you are not giving enough credit for
the folks in Nomcom. Remember that they are working hard to
get a lot of input. (According to the slides from IETF-65 plenary,
the last Nomcom sent out 1850 requests for feedback.) I'm sure
they will also evaluate the input based on context, e.g.,
recommendations by colleagues from the same company vs.
others, very different recommendations from different people,
people who have worked with the candidate in the IETF vs.
others, etc.

--Jari