RE: Adjusting the Nomcom process

2006-09-07 08:52:06
There were, as far as I can see, exactly two "right" things the nomcom
chair could have done:

(1) Amend the randomness input specification by moving it out a few
days. As long as this is done in advance of the old date which is being
changed, so the decision to move out the date can not be based on the
results using the old date, this is completely safe. It would probably
have been the best thing to do.

(2) Publish the unvetted list (or only partially vetted list) before the
randomness input date even while there was still eligibility disputes
over who was qualified. As long as everyone who is qualified or about
whom there is still an unsettle dispute is included, this is safe as
extra ineligible names in the list don't cause a problem. They are just
skipped and the algorithm run further if they come up in selection.

The evidence of past experience (12 years worth) is that disputes about
eligibility based on IETF meeting attendance can be settled with the
Secretariat within one week. The announced schedule gave a deadline for
volunteering and implied that the vetted list would be published
immediately after that deadline giving the Secretariat approximately
zero time to vet the list and settle disputes.

I think more transparency in the nomcom selection is good so, if the
process involves a stage of removing ineligibles from the list, to
produce a cleaner list, then the raw list should be posted and about a
week later the vetted list (and probably a week after that should be the
time of the last random input so the algorithm can be run). As above, it
is no problem if an ineligible person slips through on the "vetted" list
as long as this is detected before the actual selected nomcom voting
membership is announced.

Donald