Re: Last Call: 'Procedures for protocol extensions and variations' to BCP (draft-carpenter-protocol-extensions)

2006-09-05 12:57:59
"Robert" == Robert Sayre <sayrer(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

    Robert> On 9/5/06, Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> wrote:
    >>  There are a lot of complexities--for example while we hope
    >> every IP stack works with every other IP stack, two machines
    >> may not share a common upper-layer protocol or application
    >> protocol.

    Robert> I worry that such text will encourage sprawling
    Robert> specifications that make requirements across many
    Robert> layers. I think the example you give is a little
    Robert> misleading, since it can be harmful for specifications to
    Robert> make requirements on lower layers as well. For example,
    Robert> HTTP requires a reliable transport, but I think it's good
    Robert> that RFC2616 does not include text like "HTTP
    Robert> implementations MUST support TCP/IP, but may support other
    Robert> transport protocols".

To be clear, I think I'm documenting what is a long-standing consensus
in the IETF.  And I do consider it a bug that HTTP does not require
TCP.  It's typical for protocols to require a transport.  For example
, I believe SIP requires UDP (and possibly TCP).  Kerberos requires
TCP.