Re: Last Call: 'Procedures for protocol extensions and variations' to BCP (draft-carpenter-protocol-extensions)

2006-09-05 14:55:53
At 21:56 05/09/2006, Sam Hartman wrote:
To be clear, I think I'm documenting what is a long-standing consensus
in the IETF.  And I do consider it a bug that HTTP does not require
TCP.  It's typical for protocols to require a transport.  For example
, I believe SIP requires UDP (and possibly TCP).  Kerberos requires
TCP.

Why?

What you want to say is that HTTP should require the features of a TCP or UDP like protocol. When Tymnet supported TCP to the Vienna University where they imagined the IP Clusters to match the offered possibilities, TCP was dismembered, transformed into bytes + metadata under Tymnet II protocol to reach the IRCs and cross the Atlantic and Europe. They were in turn passed under X.25 by Radio Austria to the University. The same when they converted 2780 or 3270 to T.II and then to X.25 or to other protocols. This flexibility came from what you want: the specification by the upper layer of the lower layer deliverables.

We want:
- the data (basic service of connections)
- the metadata (value added service of communications)
- the inferentiation (extended services of relations) which supports the rebuild of the lower layers.

You want to specify what the lower layers are to deliver. Not the way they are to make it. When Berner-Lee shopped for datagrams, X.25 would have probably be better, but it was rated at real commercial price and too expensive for the CERN (and the US deregulation had not helped smoothing costs and rates, in the US side. The Internet economy without economic model was more attractive, but we now have the economic resulting problem).

This is what OPES really are about. But the WG-OPES just considered one edge (OPES to reach-out servers), they did not want to network these servers at inter-server layer and build the ONES (open network extended services). Extended services permits to zap, change or create data for the receiving party so it receives what the sending party wanted it to receive, not necessarily what it was sent.

You send me a mail. If we are basic end to end, I must print in synchronously. If we are value added end to end, the mail is stored and forwarded (or more cleverly stored and retrieved). If we are extended brain to brain, you send it in English and I read it in correct French.

A human language is a brain to brain/CPU protocol. Until now you needed ietf-languages(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no like debates to differentiate languages. Now, if a n-gram language recognition algorithm is able to make a difference there are two languages.

The way you phrase your idea, you look saying what Unicode people say: to speak together people _need_ TCP/IP, therefore Unicode English globalization, and therefore RFC 3066 Bis langtags, and therefore a discrimination between primary languages and others. I am sorry, a few years before the IETF and terminal spoke HTTP to Web servers, (may be not a few years after :-)) people used to speak English, French, Tamil, .... they then started using data network, they organised on a language basis, in a way langtag could of help, utilizing appropriate technologies (Radio, TV, mobiles, PCs) where TCP is one of the solutions.

If I am personally determined on the languages matter, it is because they are our (human, upper layer) protocols and therefore command the lower layer Internet protocols and architecture and lead their innovation. When you develop the transport layer, you want it to support HTTP. You even want to standardise that it is a MUST. The same you do not want the lower layer (HTTP, HTML, XML, CLDR, etc.) to limit the upper layer (languages), you want the lower layer to support the requirement of the upper layer. Human languages demand a proper support from HTTP, SMTP, etc. which in turn demands a proper service from TCP, which in turn expects a proper service from IP. Not the other way around.

Because extended services will be much demanding on value added services and protocols, which in turn have been much demanding on physical connection, this a good way to make the Internet architecture progress.

Cheers.
jfc