Re: what happened to newtrk?

2006-09-12 13:33:20
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:24:50 +0200, Eliot Lear <lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
wrote:

John C Klensin wrote:
Eliot,

The discussion of the question you asked here seems to have been
immediately sidetracked.  I, at least, believe the original question
is worth some community discussion and possibly a conclusion.  More
below.

Thank you, John.  You've caught the jist of my concerns quite well.  I
am a bit reticent at this point to propose changes.  I think we have a
problem.  Mike Heard  had a reasonable point of view as well, which is
that perhaps the newtrk charter wasn't quite as constrained as it needed
to be for this kind of change.  I do think at this point and time we are
not making the best use of the IAB, but again, I don't know what changes
I would propose to effect change.  I do wish we could have a broader
discussion.

The IAB spends -- or spent; I haven't been on the IAB since 2000 -- an
amazing percentage of its time on layer 9 issues. Most IAB members dislike
that (and some ignore that part), but much of it seemed to be stuff that
the IETF had to do.  I suppose we could ask the Nomcom to select an IPB or
an IPSG as well, but all things considered (and as one of the former
stuckees) I think we're better off if our political relations were handled
by folks with technical clue -- that is why the IETF's participation is
generally sought.