Re: RFC 2195

2006-09-07 16:12:06
Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

implementations of RFC 2195 suffer from interoperability
problems due to its failure to specify a character
set/encoding

The challenge has the syntactical form of an RFC 822 msg-id.

The concepts of userid and password are the business of the
application.  All CRAM-D5 needs is "no SPACE in the userid",
for a SPACE as defined in (say) RFC 822.  No rocket science.

The WG decided it was better to document current
implementations of CRAM-MD5

Some related URLs for those who don't read this list:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.sasl/2079
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.sasl/2084
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.sasl/2086
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.sasl/2360
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.sasl/2389

The only issue I can detect is that forcing shepherds to vote
YES when they prefer ABSTAIN would make no sense.  We had a
similar discussion here on this list wrt draft-hutzler-spamops.

Frank