Re: RFC 2195 (Was: what happened to newtrk?)

2006-09-07 20:30:32

On Friday, September 08, 2006 04:49:11 AM +0200 Frank Ellermann <nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> wrote:

That's my real problem:  If users or worse implementors don't
know how stuff works it's bad.  What you end up with are some
hypothetical situations like this:

A hypothetical situation is one that could occur, but didn't. A thinly veiled description of an actual situation is not a hypothetical.

- a lottery with a cute crypto random algorithm, and everybody
  thought that it's perfect.  Turns out that it's useless if
  the list of participants is published together with the
  result of the lottery.

The spec was already quite clear on this.

- a nice library where implementors use it as documented.  A
  few years later the IETF changes an obscure default in the
  library, and again years later an IETF WG decides that the
  implementations using the updated library are non-conforming

The change you are referring to in GSS-API v2u1 (RFC2743) is hardly to an "obscure default"; in fact, it was the addition of a new capability. The API (_not_ the wire protocol) did change in a backward-incompatible way, and the spec documented that. All that was required was to read the new API specification before using a library which implements the new version of the API.(*)

The SASL WG, which is not responsible for GSS-API, has not _decided_ that implementations of an old protocol using a newer library without updating to the new API are "non-conforming"; however, some of its individual members did point out that updating an implementation in this way can result in behavior that does not conform to that required by the original spec. What the SASL WG _did_ decide was that its updated specification, retargeted against the new GSS-API version, needed to express a requirement made necessary by the backward-incompatible change.

- an IETF ticket system where apparently nobody (and certainly
  not me) knows precisely why it used to work with my browser
  until summer 2005, but doesn't anymore
- ditto a famous bookshop where I ordered books securely for
  years, and now I use their insecure interface, because the
  former doesn't work anymore for me (only their server for
  the secure icons, but bad enough to be unusable for orders)
- a browser test site by a CERT where nobody knows why their
  test suite doesn't work with my browser (other test sites
  find no problem).

I don't think I can help you with any of these.

- an IETF server where my browser tells me again and again that
  the server certificate expired 1998 (the correct behaviour
  for this situation as far as I can judge it), but I'm pretty
  sure that it did work before

Maybe your browser was broken before?
Maybe the cert wasn't expired before?
In any case, I don't think this scenario supports your argument that documenting a protocol is better than not documenting it, because I doubt that the problem is the result of an ill-defined or underspecified protocol. Instead, I'd guess that it is a result of an oversight on the part of the operator of that server, combined with a complete lack of anyone bothering to report the problem (but that's just a guess, based on my experiences with people not bothering to report problems to me and then complaining that they never got fixed).

In addition, while I mostly agree that documenting a protocol is usually better than not documenting it, I fail to see the relevance of that point in this discussion. If we're talking about what happened to newtrk or what the standards process should be, then we're talking about how to designate and advance protocol specifications that _are_ being published.

If we're talking specifically about CRAM-MD5, then please bear in mind that the SASL WG decided some time ago that the correct course of action was to produce an informational document describing CRAM-MD5 as deployed, rather than to produce an incompatible updated protocol which we would not ever encourage anyone to actually deploy. For those watching from the sidelines, the updated document is draft-ietf-sasl-crammd5-07.txt.

-- Jeff