Re: Crisis of Faith - was Re: Adjusting the Nomcom process

2006-09-13 02:54:49
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I tuned out of this argument a while back, I am not concerned about the outcome
of this particular event, the problem is the setting of the wrong precedent.

As Phill knows, and in fact has in common with me, I grew up professionally
while providing services to experimental physicists up to Nobel prize
level. And one of the things you acquire in that environment is a thick
skin for dealing with strong-willed and highly intelligent people who
don't always think twice before they speak or write.
(Read 'Nobel Dreams' by Gary Taub for a good introduction to this topic.)

So, frankly, I am pretty much immune to personal insults, ad hominem arguments,
and libels - receiving all of which seems to be part of the IETF Chair's job
description.

That being said, Phill is completely correct - we should look beyond
the rudeness in various messages for the objective content or the fallacy.

However, that doesn't mean we should tolerate rudeness, or any
other unprofessional behaviour. I recommend everybody to re-read
RFC 3005 and RFC 3184, and also to consider whether the 'delete' key
isn't the best one to use.

   Brian