Re: Crisis of Faith - was Re: Adjusting the Nomcom process

2006-09-12 13:31:29

On Sep 12, 2006, at 10:51 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

An ad-hominem argument is a fallacy if and only if the truth value of B is independent of the character of A. In cases where the truth value of B is in fact dependent on the character of A there is no fallacy.

True. But I'm not sure I agree that this is what has happened here.

Personally, I don't think that Todd is a "despicable" person, but I do find his tactics a bit tiresome. Like Carl, I resent the insinuation that the chair of the IETF has lied to his constituency. I have for a long time had a discussion with him regarding the use of mailing lists and the fact that they have intended topics. Like him, I have some experience talking with lawyers but am not a lawyer. I quickly tire of his bullying.

Bottom line, I would welcome the sergeant-at-arms addressing the issue in the manner prescribed.

That said, the nomcom process is imperfect. I have reason to know: I chaired the nomcom in 1993, was a liaison from the IAB to in 2002, and am a liaison from the ISOC Board to this year. We have tried to deal with the imperfections in it several times, and in the end wind up with something that mostly works but has imperfections because it depends on people, and people are imperfect. It depends on the quality of the people we put on it, and in fact I think we have consistently put on the nomcom people of quality who have sought, however imperfectly, to make the right things happen for the community. And I think many of them have felt a bit abused by the community later on. I wish that the community would treat its servants better; they certainly try to treat it better.

Todd would like to see the membership of the IETF formally defined and used to support voting. That's a reasonable thing to do, if the community wants to go there. The big problem in it is that much of the community doesn't know the individuals in it other than those they have worked with, so voting is essentially a popularity contest. We have seen that on the ISOC Board, back when there was a direct vote for its membership, and we have seen it in other SDOs. The antics of one campaigning for a position can be amusing to watch, and the fact that people are forced to campaign leads people trying to do technical work to ask "did s/he say that because they think it's pertinent, or because they are campaigning for a position?". I find the campaigning fairly destructive.

I may be mistaken, and if so someone will no doubt correct me. I don't believe that we do the nomcom process because we don't want to vote. I think we do it because we don't want to deal with the processes of campaigning, and because we want better leadership than a popularity contest would give us. Since the nomcom does a fairly serious investigation of the people it proposes, I think it is more likely to give us the type and quality of people that our processes depend on. Whatever its imperfections, I think it is a better process than a voting process would be in the IETF context.