RE: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process

2006-09-15 02:42:04
I am somewhat surprised that no-one has actually answered the question
why DO we use a noncom rather than open elections?

I think that one answer to that question is quite simple.
In open elections where all meeting participants
or all active WG participants take part,
there would be a strong bias towards large corporations
who can afford to devote a large number of representatives.

In fact, we could rapidly find the IETF effectively kidnapped
by one or two companies, stifling creativity and serving to
further their narrow economic interests, rather than those
of the developer and user communities at large.
This would undermine the whole purpose of the IETF.

The noncom has built-in restrictions that work to keep the
IETF diverse and responsive to a wide community.

Isn't it easier to answer the question asked rather than
indulging in the content-free discussion we have just witnessed?

Y(J)S