Re: Facts, please, not handwaving [Re: Its about mandate RE: Why cant the IETF embrace an open Election Process]

2006-09-18 01:14:18
Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Phill,

As a result the IETF is a standards body with 2000 active
participants that produces on average less than 3 standards a year
and typically takes ten years to produce even a specification.

It is well understood that the Internet mainly runs on Proposed
Standards,
so the appropriate metric is how many Proposed Standards the IETF
produces
a year. I think you will find that is more than three.

I have to agree.  Going back to the numbers I posted to NEWTRK in March:

Status  1999    2000    2001    2002    2003    2004    2005
PS      102     119     71      105     103     131     169

This represents a tremendous amount of work by many people.  And so
while I *do* believe we have process problems, they are largely of the
form that we are not actually following our documented process.  I also
believe that we need to be more nimble when it comes to changing our
processes.  I would like to see both of those problems corrected in due
course.

I have not done the work to review velocity from -00 to RFC, but perhaps
Bill Fenner has.

Eliot