Re: 25th Anniversary!

2006-09-26 08:19:58
    > From: rpelletier(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org

    > It was 25 years ago this month that IP and TCP were formally
    > standardized by the publication of RFC 791 and RFC 793.

It might be worth emphasizing to people that this is the anniversary of the
*RFC's* (from September, 1981), and *NOT* the anniversary of IPv4/TCPv4
itself, which preceded it by quite a few years.

There was a substantial discussion on the Internet-History mailing list
(internet-history(_at_)postel(_dot_)org) of which date was the correct one for
the
creation of TCPv4/IPv4, earlier this year (at the end of March, if anyone's
looking in the mailing-list archive). I don't know if we followed through
looking in the minutes of early Internet Working Group meetings to determine
exactly which one it was, but it seemed to have been at one in the fall of
'77. FWIW, IEN's 40 and 41 (the first publication of the TCPv4/IPv4 spec)
date from June of 1978.

So we're pretty close to 30 years for TCPv4/IPv4 itself...

        Noel