Re: 25th Anniversary!

2006-09-26 12:52:18
Still got the button?  -s

On Sep 26, 2006, at 14:35, Bob Braden wrote:

  *>
*> There was a substantial discussion on the Internet-History mailing list *> (internet-history(_at_)postel(_dot_)org) of which date was the correct one for the *> creation of TCPv4/IPv4, earlier this year (at the end of March, if anyone's *> looking in the mailing-list archive). I don't know if we followed through *> looking in the minutes of early Internet Working Group meetings to determine *> exactly which one it was, but it seemed to have been at one in the fall of *> '77. FWIW, IEN's 40 and 41 (the first publication of the TCPv4/ IPv4 spec)
  *> date from June of 1978.
  *>
  *> So we're pretty close to 30 years for TCPv4/IPv4 itself...
  *>
  *>         Noel
  *>

I believe that the birth date for the Internet (protocols) was Jan 1, 1983,
when the ARPAnet cut over from NCP to TCP/IP.

Bob Braden