Re: 25th Anniversary!

2006-09-26 13:08:41
I was the person who wrote the IMP code and, on January 1, "pulled the
switch" to disable port 0 (NCP) on the ARPANET IMP interfaces.  I had also
included the abiltity to override the switch on a port-by-port basis, and we
had a procedure in place well prior to the cutover for approved exceptions
to the no-NCP policy.  A good number of hosts made the deadline, although
the exception list did grow in the first few days of 1983 as some people
realized that they had ignored the cutover for too long, but as I recall the
exception list quickly shrank, and by the end of the year there were very
few NCP-only hosts left.  There was certainly some amount of pain involved,
but NCP would have hung around for much longer if the switchover hadn't been
enforced.

Cheers,
Andy