RE: [Nea] WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea)

2006-10-09 14:09:33
Harald Alvestrand wrote:
<SNIP>
Posture checking is certainly a leaky bucket. It doesn't
protect all kinds of endpoint, it doesn't protect the
endpoints against all kinds of threats, and it doesn't
protect much of anything against a smart, resourceful
attacker who is deeply familiar with the NEA system in use
and is interested in investing considerable resources in
attacking or circumventing it.

NEA itself may not offer any protection, it is more an informational tool
from my perspective.  How that information may be used could lead to some
protection but that would vary with each deployment.

But (to recycle a very old simile) the fact that I can open
the locks of most doors with a crowbar doesn't mean that locks are
not useful. Organizations that have deployed products that do
something like what NEA is talking about have reported that their
TCO is reduced.

In these days of information overload I still maintain, the more information
available the better it is.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch