Please stop the country-specific references (Was: I understand that there is an ISO MOU with the IETF - I want to see it...

2006-10-16 03:20:31
On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 01:08:42PM -0700,
 Dave Crocker <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote
 a message of 34 lines which said:

Further most people who participate in non-profits do not fit the
legal definition of "member".  In the world of non-profits, that
term has very specific meaning and carries very specific
obligations.  Hence most non-profits avoid it by having
"subscribers" or the like who are not actually "members".

[And, in another message, a reference to what appears to be USA tax
law and which probably puzzled many IETFers:]

That puts things into the 501(c)(3, 6, whatever) category.  And my
comments meant in that context.

I have no doubt that your analysis is correct, as long as you limit
yourself to one country.

Giving the vast variety of countries in which IETF
members-who-are-not-members work, and the variety of legal systems, I
urge everyone to avoid basing any reasoning on a specific legal
system. Unlike ICANN, which is incorporated in the USA for a purpose,
IETF has no nationality.

My knowledge of the US legal system is mostly limited to what you can
learn by watching TV series so, please, do not use it as a reference
that anyone should share.

Or I will talk about the IETF by using examples from the french 1901
law about non-profit organisations :-)