Re: I understand that there is an ISO MOU with the IETF - I want to see it...

2006-10-13 01:53:01
todd glassey wrote:
Thats what I thought John but when Verisign's Corporate-Government Liaison,
who is a very reputable attorney, pops up and says there is one I have to
ask.
Google searching seems to indicate that this role belongs to Michael Aisenberg. I suggest that anyone who cares to pursue this rumour go verify with him what he tried to say.

There are Verisign people on this list who can ask him for clarification.

(Note - there is an ITU-T Recommendation that talks about almost exactly what is being described. It is documented in RFC 3356, which is shared text with ITU-T A-Series Supplement 3. This is, however, not an MOU; it's an ITU description of its internal procedures. It's possible that ISO and ITU got mixed up somewhere along the line.)
Todd

----- Original Message ----- From: "John C Klensin" <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
To: "todd glassey" <tglassey(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net>;
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Cc: "Contreras, Jorge" <Jorge(_dot_)Contreras(_at_)wilmerhale(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: I understand that there is an ISO MOU with the IETF - I want to
see it...

--On Thursday, 12 October, 2006 12:27 -0700 todd glassey
<tglassey(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net> wrote:

I understand that there is a formal MOU between the ISO and
the IETF that talks about ISO's actions with regard to the
reliance on IETF Standards and RFC's.

I want to physically see a copy of the document - in its
entirety.
To the best of my knowledge from either an IETF perspective or
as a member of one or two of the mailing lists on which "ISO"
would have needed to see comment, there is no such document or
agreement.  For such a thing to exist, there would almost
certainly have to be a formal liaison agreement between IETF and
either ISO or ISO/IEC JTC1 and that agreement doesn't exist
either (although several of us have, over the years, attempted
to make it happen).

Where do you get these ideas?

And please see my earlier comments about your "rights" in these
issues generally and to make this type of demand, even if the
agreement and documents did exist.

   john