RE: [Nea] WG Review: Network Endpoint Assessment (nea)

2006-10-16 23:18:49
Vidya Narayanan wrote:
I am very apprehensive of achieving any meaningful PA-level
interoperability. I am not sure what minimum set of PA attributes will
be standardized, but, whatever that set is, I doubt will be sufficient
to provide any acceptable level of security, even for the endpoints.

This is not surprising, since you have said that you don't see
any security value to NEA.

Even assuming ongoing standardization of vendor specific attributes,
it
is not totally realistic to assume that all applications will support
the appropriate attributes. The rate of standardization is also very
likely to be much slower than the rate of the growth in the number of
attributes needed for any continued meaningful protection.

NEA is not based on applications supporting attributes.
Attributes are supported by Posture Collectors and
Posture Validators, specialized NEA components. An AV
Posture Collector will handle attributes pertaining
to AV, perhaps by interfacing with an existing AV
application. Still, I agree that a given endpoint
will typically only support a small subset of the
universe of possible attributes. Not a problem.
As long as the endpoint supports enough attributes
that the Posture Broker can evaluate its compliance
with the posture policy, that's enough.

Thanks,

Steve