Re: nomcom and confidentiality

2006-11-07 12:09:04
Hi,

on 2006-11-07 05:37 Harald Alvestrand said the following:
I think some of Laksminath's concern is valid.
But I think the solution to the problem is simple:

Make it publicly known who is on the technical staff that supports the
Nomcom, and make it clear that these people:

1) May learn Nomcom information as a side effect of their technical work to
support Nomcom
2) Have promised not to reveal that information to others, and have
promised not to take any other action based on that information (apart from
fixing technical problems)

This is analogous to the role of an email postmaster: He *can* read any
mail on the system, if he really wants to, but we trust him to not *do* it
- or, if he has to during debugging, we trust him to "forget" what he's
read.

I trust that Henrik thought this was "so obvious it didn't need mentioning".

For both the moral and confidentiality side of this, certainly, but I did
in fact read through 3777 and did discuss this with Ralph (NomCom 05 chair)
before taking on the work last year.  I particularly noted the content
of Section 10 of RFC 3777, and considered it applicable for the role
of providing this service to the NomCom and community.

        Henrik

                      Harald

--On 7. november 2006 00:39 -0800 Lakshminath Dondeti