Re: nomcom and confidentiality

2006-11-09 12:01:59
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:19:39 -0800, Harald Alvestrand
<harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> wrote:

--On 9. november 2006 07:20 -0800 "Narayanan, Vidya"
<vidyan(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Hi Avri,
You make valid points. However, I assume that a company system
administrator has nothing to do with the IETF.

That assumption is unfounded.
Several of us run our IETF-related services out of non-corporate systems
where the sysadmin is a volunteer, and very often an IETF-clued volunteer.

(in my particular case, the sysadmin is myself - but there are other people
who know what the IETF is who also have the root password, Just In Case....)

Indeed.  I run a machine that happens to host several IETF-related
mailing lists and a web site; Randy Bush's machine was and is even more
heavily used that way.  Two former members of the I* have the root word
to my machine; the same is true for Randy's.

More to the point, the thought that companies are not interested in the
IETF or the Nomcom is a myth --a pleasant myth, but a myth nevertheless.
There's a reason why there's now a ban on too many Nomcom members from
the same company.