Re: nomcom and confidentiality

2006-11-07 20:28:40
Bob Hinden wrote:
Danny,

What!!!! The liaisons are there to provide additional information, not directly influence the outcome.

Do you have more information on this? If this is true, I think the result from that Nomcom is questionable. I think this needs to be investigated and the result be made public.

I realize that we can't go back in time, but it needs to be clear to current and future nomcom's that this is a major violation of the nomcom process and should not be repeated.

Not to further belabor Fred's point, but:

You might consider the text in section 5(9) of RFC 3777:

---------------------------

   9.  All members of the nominating committee may participate in all
       deliberations.

       The emphasis of this rule is that no member can be explicitly
       excluded from any deliberation.  However, a member may
       individually choose not to participate in a deliberation.

True, but in Section 4, bullet 3, last paragraph:

       None of the Chair, liaisons, or advisors vote on the  selection of
       candidates.  They do vote on all other issues before the
       committee unless otherwise specified in this document.

In my view, having liaisons voting in straw polls is part of the "vote on the selection of candidates" as it has the effect of eliminating candidates. This is very different from "deliberations". If wanted the liaisons to vote, we would have not have included them in the above paragraph.

The restriction on liaisons is repeated in bullet 7 of the same section. Bullet 7 makes it clear the role of liaisons is to provide information to the nomcom and to represent the interest of their organizations, not to actually select the candidates. Again in my view, participating in "straw polls" is voting and is a violation of RFC3777.

FWIW, I agree with Bob that it's violation in the spirit, but probably
not in the letter, of the "law".

    Brian