Re: nomcom and confidentiality

2006-11-07 17:34:22

--On Tuesday, November 07, 2006 17:46 -0500 Ralph Droms <rdroms(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

Bob - depends on the meaning of "straw poll".  Any vote that
results in an action should be restricted to the 10 voting
members.  My understanding of "straw poll" is an opinion poll
that results in no direct action.

Ralph, had you said "...results in no action (direct or indirect)", I would have completely agreed. But there are lots of ways in which straw polls can be used to limit the range of further discussions or selections, and, for those, I share Bob's nervousness.

To be explicit about my concern here, rather than having it sound like a lot of theory, while I have every reason to believe that most, if not all, liaisons have behaved in an exemplary fashion, a liaison from body X, to a nominating committee that is selecting members of X, will have a tendency to either make suggestions about job requirements that results in cloning of the members of X or will have a tendency to axe-grind based on personal experiences within X. Those two tendencies are somewhat in tension with each other, maybe that is enough. But, because we would like the nomcom process to be above suspicion, being clear about the appropriate boundaries of liaison behavior seems worth a little effort.

    john