RE: SRV records considered dubious (was: Re: DNS Choices: Was: [ietf-dkim] Re: Last Call: 'DomainKeys)

2006-11-22 07:37:44

From: John C Klensin [mailto:john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com]

And, to add one more observation to Keith's list, unless one
is extremely careful, especially when considering using SRV
to add support for protocols that were defined without it,
one also risks recreating all of the problems that caused WKS
to be deprecated.  In other words,

      * If there is no SRV record present, can I assume the
      service is not supported?   (No)

      * If there is an SRV record present, can I assume the
      server is supported and available? (No, not that either).

As in the case of email and MX this is only the case for legacy protocols that
do not have mandatory support for SRV required. MX records do not guarantee the
existence of a service but that's not their function so why hold it up as a
defect?

We are currently seeing an explosion of new protocol development using Web
Services. It is long past time to declare UDDI a failure and recognize that it
isn't going to happen. But Web Services are predicated on the existence of a
signaling infrastructure.