Re: SRV records considered dubious (was: Re: DNS Choices: Was: [ietf-dkim] Re: Last Call: 'DomainKeys)

2006-11-22 22:24:49
On Nov 22, 2006, at 5:42 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
From: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org [mailto:Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org]
        Note it is possible to upgrade the DNS servers and *still*
        have active directory support.
You lose the coupling of AD and DNS.

Why do you say this? There are at least two DNS server implementations that I know of that implement Microsoft compatible AD support.

No, the fact that I do not choose to force the products of your employer down people's throats is not an error of judgement on my part.

There are several other servers than ISC's that support unknown RRs. In fact, I suspect Microsoft is one of the few (perhaps even only) current DNS server software implementers that still does not support unknown RRs in one way or another.

In my space failing to take account of the largest server provider is a deployment issue.

IMHO, not supporting unknown RRs at this day and age is a bug and it should be treated as such.

Rgds,
-drc