Re: SRV records considered dubious

2006-11-22 11:36:53
The point is that the distributed information store that we currently know as DNS is separable from the protocol that we call DNS, and we can (if we are careful) design a new protocol that will let us access that information store more flexibly while still keeping the views consistent between the DNS protocol and the new protocol.

Sure, but is the trust anchor that DNS more importantly provides? On today's internet with all of the vested interests could the devil we don't know possibly be any better than the one we do?

so we shouldn't try to improve the Internet at all for fear that it
might end up being worse than what we have?

I'll offer a different point of view - the Internet is constantly being
degraded by those "vested interests" and also suffering from limitations
of its original design.  If intelligent, conscientious people aren't
continually contributing to its evolution in an open forum, the devil
that we do know will get worse and worse.

I can imagine the only reasonable name for a working group that
attempts that is BLACKHELICOPTERS.

random paranoia doesn't impress me. if you have a specific threat you want to discuss, by all means bring it up - though maybe you'd want to wait for an actual proposal before trying to model the threats?

Keith