nomcom:Soliciting feedback from entire working groups?

2006-12-18 07:38:50

If I'm reading the following mail correctly, it sounds like the nomcom
is requesting feedback from a working group mailing list.

In other words anyone who creates a tools.ietf.org account for that
address can see the short list of candidates.

At that point, shouldn't we just be making the short list public?

--- Begin Message ---
Security Area Director Candidate Feedback

The NomCom solicits your input on the candidates it is reviewing for
the Security Area Director position.  It is a requirement
of the NomCom process that lists of candidates reviewed by the NomCom
are to be kept confidential. Therefore, when you receive the list of
candidates for review, you MUST keep it confidential and MUST NOT
share it with anyone else.  The NomCom requests that you provide your
input as soon as possible, for full consideration, please have them in no later
than the end of the day, Tuesday, January 2, 2007.

Your input is a very important aspect of the process through which the
NomCom will make its selections for IETF leadership.  We encourage you
to review the list of candidates you have been asked to comment on and
provide us any input that might help us in our selection.  Please
provide input on as many candidates as you can; input to the effect of
"I'm not familiar with X" is acceptable and useful to the NomCom.

This year, the NomCom is accepting input on candidates through a
web-based tool.  Later in this message, you will find a URL through
which you can provide your input.

You may be asked for input on multiple positions that are under review
by the NomCom.  If you are asked for input on multiple positions, you
will receive separate e-mail requests for each position.

If you prefer to provide anonymous input, please send it directly to
the NomCom chair, Andrew Lange,
andrew(_dot_)lange(_at_)alcatel-lucent(_dot_)com, who
will make your input anonymous before forwarding it to the NomCom.  Any
input you provide, whether it is provided to the NomCom directly through the
web-based tool or anonymously, will be kept confidential and will not be shared
outside the NomCom.

There are names in the lists of candidates for each position who have
declined nomination, which are included in the list to help protect
the confidentiality of actual candidates.  Also, if you are a
candidate for a position, your name will not appear in the list of
candidates for that position.  If you are a candidate for a position,
the NomCom will not accept anonymous input from you about other
candidates for the same position.

The web-based feedback tool gives the NomCom an automated process for
collecting input on the NomCom candidates.  We hope you will find it
more convenient to use as well.  Your input will be encrypted before
it is stored by the feedback tool, and can only be decrypted by the
NomCom.

Some individuals may be candidates for multiple positions.  If you
provide input for such a candidate for one position, the NomCom will
see that input for that candidate associated with each of the
positions.  You may provide additional input for specific positions,
by clicking on the candidate's name in the list of candidates for that
specific position.

The feedback form is available at the following URLs:

  https://www1.tools.ietf.org/group/nomcom06/input/

Please use your tools.ietf.org login with the email address you have been
invited with.  If you do not have a tools login, you can get one at this URL:

  https://www1.tools.ietf.org/newlogin

Again, the NomCom emphasizes that, if you use the feedback form to
provide input, you MUST keep the list of candidates confidential.

When you access the feedback form, you will see a list of all of the
candidates you have been asked to comment on.  By clicking on a
candidate's name, you will be presented with a text-input form into
which you can type your input.

Note that, because of the way in which the NomCom collected names and
e-mail addresses for individuals from whom input is solicited, we may
have more than one e-mail address for you and you may receive multiple
requests for feedback on the same position.  We apologize in advance
for any duplicate e-mail you may receive as a part of this feedback
solicitation process.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Andrew