Re: nomcom:Soliciting feedback from entire working groups?

2006-12-18 10:35:20

Sam Hartman wrote:
If I'm reading the following mail correctly, it sounds like the nomcom
is requesting feedback from a working group mailing list.

In other words anyone who creates a tools.ietf.org account for that
address can see the short list of candidates.

At that point, shouldn't we just be making the short list public?

1. They are careful to say that the lists that are stuffed with some fake entries. Although I respect the intention, this long-standing technique -- attempting to protect the privacy of actual candidates, is ineffective and wasteful. It is particularly wasteful by having lots of folks asked to provide feedback about people who are not real candidates.

2. Using some method of restricting the query to "active" wg participants is a good idea. Using the existance of a Tools account is one simple method. It's always worth considering whether there are better criteria that are easy to implement, but the current approach is pretty reasonable.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking