Re: "Discuss" criteria

2007-01-01 17:50:51

--On Tuesday, 02 January, 2007 00:21 +0100 Harald Alvestrand
<harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> wrote:

Expecting the best available expertise on charset issues and
string matching in the Kerberos WG is, in my opinion, less
than rational.

But the Kerberos WG still has to define protocol operations
where strings are compared.
Sometimes a WG needs help with issues outside their core
purview, and sometimes they won't discover that until their
documents hit the IESG. That's life.

Harald, we certainly agree that, regardless of what we do, some
of these will ultimately hit the IESG during final review (as
well as agreeing that the Kerberos WG is a poor example).
However, I think your comment could be construed as a little too
accepting of the situation.  From my point of view, any time
that one of these situations is not discovered before Last Call
is an indication of a failure in the system, a failure that the
relevant ADs should be examining carefully in the hope of
preventing future failures of the same or similar nature.

    john