Re: "Discuss" criteria

2007-01-11 21:24:21

On Tuesday, January 02, 2007 12:21:37 AM +0100 Harald Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no> wrote:

John Leslie wrote:
   This is venturing into dangerous territory. The best expertise on
the technical issues involved _should_ be in the WG that produced the
document. Expecting to find _better_ expertise within the IESG seems
less than rational...

Expecting the best available expertise on charset issues and string
matching in the Kerberos WG is, in my opinion, less than rational.

As chair of the WG in question, I have to agree. Though we do have a couple of individuals who seem to have developed more expertise in that area than is healthy. :-)

But the Kerberos WG still has to define protocol operations where strings
are compared.
Sometimes a WG needs help with issues outside their core purview, and
sometimes they won't discover that until their documents hit the IESG.
That's life.

(apologies to the Kerberos folks, who, I think, are now very much
educated on those specific issues, for using them as an example....)

None needed; I think you illustrated the point perfectly.

-- Jeff