Re: "Discuss" criteria

2007-01-02 17:09:27
"Keith" == Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

    >> It's high time we gave up any pretense that the
    >> "IETF-as-a-whole" should come to "consensus" about the
    >> technical details of RFCs before they're published.

    Keith> strongly disagree.  I have seen way too many working groups
    Keith> working in isolation, often deliberately so, and without
    Keith> due regard for the harm that their work will cause.

I think I agree with both of you.

For most matters silence of the majority plus consensus among those
involved is sufficient.

However the IETF as a hole is an excellent resource for taking a look
in situations where more eyes are required.  An example of this is
when there is a minority who is unhappy with the consensus or when
there are specific issues we want greater review on.