Re: "Discuss" criteria status

2007-01-02 18:45:43
I wonder if we as a community are asking the wrong question in this discussion.

It seems to me that there is a very large value in having a clear document that the IESG says documents what they will do.

I personally am much more interested in having a document that serves that function, even if I don't like the criteria listed. If we can get to the point where we have that, then I think it makes sense to have a discussion about what changes the community would like to see in the IESG procedures.

Is draft-iesg-discuss-criteria-02.txt a statement from the IESG of what it is doing?
If not, what is it?
If it is, what I would ask first is that the IESG commit to updating this whenever they change the procedures. (I don't care if it is kept as a perpetual I-D, with a pointer so people know it has meaning, or a web page, or an ION, or what.)

Then, once we know that, we can have a useful debate on what changes we would like to see in what the IESG does.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern