RE: NATs as firewalls

2007-03-06 04:08:26
How do we establish the political coalition necessary to act?

1. Form a political coalition.
2. Get an existing coalition such as MAAWG to take on the work.
3. Get the USISPA to take on the work http://www.usispa.org/
4. Get the USIIA to take on the work http://www.usiia.org/
5. Get the USISPA, USIIA and MAAWG to join forces and take on the work.

Choose one...

There is clearly additional discussion necessary within the
IETF community to achieve a measure of consensus. I agree
that the IETF list is not the place for that.

Yep.

We need more than just consensus in the IETF though. We need
to convince the ISPs to act who in turn must persuade the
vendors of SOHO routers.

Writing the spec of a SOHO gateway could be done in the IETF because it
is primarily a technical document. It is analogous to work the IETF has
done before.

--Michael Dillon