Address consumption vs. routing table growth [was: Re: NATs as firewalls]

2007-03-11 09:46:22
Tony Hain writes:
On top of that look closely at the graph I referenced yesterday and
you will note that the RIPE region is burning through space the
fastest. The last I looked Geoff's numbers showed the APnic region
having the fastest growth in the routing system, so where are all
those addresses going in Europe?

By asking "where are all those addresses going in Europe", you suggest
that address hoarding has already started in the RIPE region.  I'm not
sure whether that's the best explanation for what you are seeing.

My counter-hypothesis would be this: Newly allocated addresses see a
similar (high) level of actual usage between the APNIC and RIPE
regions, but the general level of route aggregation differs
significantly between the regions.

For an illustration of the regional differences in route aggregation,
check out the "deaggregation factor" in the Weekly Routing Table
Reports (e.g. http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg05078.html).
For possible reasons for these differences, I believe there was a
short presentation on this (by Philip Smith?) at the NANOG meeting
last month, but I cannot find the proceedings right now.
--
Simon.