Re: NATs as firewalls and the NEA

2007-03-09 20:07:19
For better or worse, the "centralized means of control" you mention may well come in the form of the latest IPTV networks being built by large telco providers. As telco battles cable for couch potatoes, they've realized that mucking with television reception is perhaps the best way to overload their customer service call centers. As such, the demarc between ISP* and customer is moving inside the home. There may still be a Linksys or Netgear wirless device attached to these networks but there will be an IP "router" that is partially controlled by the ISP on site.

Depending on your stomach for getting involved there will be, according to predictions, ~40 million households worldwide on some type of IPTV in the next few years alone. We may not have the opportunity to replace existing hardware, but there is the opportunity to influence
what goes in-line before it.

* the term "ISP" has morphed so many times I have trouble following but in the modern day progression of UUnet/iMCI >> AOL/Earthlink >> AT&T/Verizon I'm referring to the latter example.

jy