Re: Document Action: 'Abstract Syntax Notation X (ASN.X)' to Experimental RFC

2007-03-13 20:32:20

--On Tuesday, 13 March, 2007 16:01 -0700 Andy Bierman
<ietf(_at_)andybierman(_dot_)com> wrote:

I was going to raise this issue, but I deleted the mail when I
realized
this is going to be an Experimental RFC (according to the
subject line).

I don't think it harms interoperability to introduce an
experiment
into the mix.  If deployment and useful tools follow, then
maybe
a later revision can move to the standards track.

Andy,  I just found Ted's note explaining that the writeup was
just an error.  These things happen and my reaction was a little
strong (pre-IETF tension, I think).

Certainly, making it an experimental document helps with the
worst of the problem.  I'd be _seriously_ upset if we were
advancing it onto the standards track with as little context as
we have.  But, even for an experimental document, I still think
it would be highly desirable to get some serious discussion
about "why" and "when" into it to justify publication in any
form.   I think Ned's note summarizes the reasons for that
better than I could.  I also think that, if the author took
Ned's note, Phillip's recent one, contemplated both for a while,
and then turned the combination into a "rationale and context"
section (with appropriate acknowledgements, of course), that
none of us would have anything significant to complain about.

best,
   john