Re: identifying yourself at the mic

2007-03-19 02:15:40

When identifying yourself at the mic, it's completely useless if you
mumble your name, or say it at even approaching normal speed.  Slow down.
Many of you mumble it very quickly, and after the amplification system
munges it, it's just a buzz.

Even if your name was just said by the chair, the note taker might
benefit from hearing it a second or third time :-)

This is particularly the case for english speaking notetakers and
non-native english speaking speakers.  Alas, I at least, am stupid about
typing names from hearing them.  Often, the only way I can guess what
you said was because I already know who you are.

As a non-native english speaker, I do have difficulties to understand
names of .... native english speakers.

May I make a suggestion: why not having some of these RFIDs or another
technology where the speaker would be identified by his card and his
name would be displayed on some additional TV display ? I think it
would benefit everyone to know who is the person on the mic.

Thierry