Re: identifying yourself at the mic

2007-03-26 17:04:52
Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz(_at_)cmu(_dot_)edu> wrote:
On Monday, March 19, 2007 11:56:07 AM -0400 Steve Silverman
<s_silverman(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net> wrote:

It would be simpler, cheaper, and more reliable  to have one guy with
a whistle in each meeting who could blow the whistle and ask for the
speaker's name when appropriate.

That guy is called the chair.

   Bad idea: the chair has too many other responsibilities.

   OTOH, we might consider issuing whistles to every jabber scribe:
if they can't figure out who's talking, blow the whistle...

   (I speak as one who declines to volunteer as jabber scribe because
I'm so weak at recognizing IETF folks by voice. If we had a situation
where I could that easily request that a name be stated clearly, I'd
be willing to volunteer...)

   In practice, alas, many of those who _do_ state their name mumble
it so thoroughly that I'm not sure even repeated passes at the audio
record could decipher it.

   My prejudice is that I don't want to spend a lot of time listening
to folks I can't figure out how to contact by email. YMMV. I don't
know what the mythical IETF consensus might be about this...

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>