RE: identifying yourself at the mic

2007-03-19 09:01:45
It would be simpler, cheaper, and more reliable  to have one guy with
a whistle in each meeting who could blow the whistle and ask for the
speaker's name when appropriate.

Steve Silverman

-----Original Message-----
From: Thierry Ernst [mailto:thierry(_dot_)ernst(_at_)inria(_dot_)fr]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 5:08 AM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: identifying yourself at the mic

When identifying yourself at the mic, it's completely useless if
you
mumble your name, or say it at even approaching normal
speed.  Slow down.
Many of you mumble it very quickly, and after the
amplification system
munges it, it's just a buzz.

Even if your name was just said by the chair, the note taker might
benefit from hearing it a second or third time :-)

This is particularly the case for english speaking notetakers and
non-native english speaking speakers.  Alas, I at least, am stupid
about typing names from hearing them.  Often, the only way I
can guess
what you said was because I already know who you are.

As a non-native english speaker, I do have difficulties to
understand
names of .... native english speakers.

May I make a suggestion: why not having some of these RFIDs or
another
technology where the speaker would be identified by his card and his

name would be displayed on some additional TV display ? I think it
would benefit everyone to know who is the person on the mic.

Thierry