Re: identifying yourself at the mic

2007-03-19 03:23:19
Perhaps requiring people to give their point in exactly the same
volume as they give their name might be an interesting protocol to try
out.

On 3/19/07, Clint Chaplin <clint(_dot_)chaplin(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
People just don't seem willing to speak up when giving their name;
it's as if they're embarassed to say their own name.  They certainly
can be loud enough when giving their point.

Be loud, and be proud!

On 3/19/07, Thierry Ernst <thierry(_dot_)ernst(_at_)inria(_dot_)fr> wrote:

> >When identifying yourself at the mic, it's completely useless if you
> >mumble your name, or say it at even approaching normal speed.  Slow down.
> >Many of you mumble it very quickly, and after the amplification system
> >munges it, it's just a buzz.
> >
> >Even if your name was just said by the chair, the note taker might
> >benefit from hearing it a second or third time :-)
> >
> >This is particularly the case for english speaking notetakers and
> >non-native english speaking speakers.  Alas, I at least, am stupid about
> >typing names from hearing them.  Often, the only way I can guess what
> >you said was because I already know who you are.
>
> As a non-native english speaker, I do have difficulties to understand
> names of .... native english speakers.
>
> May I make a suggestion: why not having some of these RFIDs or another
> technology where the speaker would be identified by his card and his
> name would be displayed on some additional TV display ? I think it
> would benefit everyone to know who is the person on the mic.
>
> Thierry

Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin
Principal Engineer
Corporate Standardization (US)