Re: Fwd: Pingsta Invitation

2007-03-24 11:20:09
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Fred Baker wrote:

Does anyone know who this is or what it is about?

I don't know anything about Pingsta or its credibility.  However, I am
currently reading a boot titled "Mavericks at Work" which talks, in
part, about open-source methods being applied to areas of business
other than software development.  Three companies, Your Encore,
NineSigma, and InnoCentive, that serve as brokerages between people
who need solutions and people who have ideas.  The central notion is
that a company's own R&D team can't have anywhere near the breadth of
the worldwide community of scientists, for example.  The open question
is to what extent that community is willing to participate, but the
book implies that the three companies I mentioned are successful.  It
is likely that such an arrangement would be more appealing early in a
career when becoming recognized and finding opportunities might be
more valuable.  Or, in the case of Your Encore, for scientists and
engineers who have retired but still want an opportunity to apply
their knowledge and intelligence.

Pingsta might be an attempt to create a similar arrangement for
internetworking.  Whether is is honest, valuable, or potentially
successful remains to be determined.

                                                        -- Steve

Begin forwarded message: