RE: Fwd: Pingsta Invitation

2007-03-26 11:12:49
Observation: Many IETF-ers have entries in Linked-In

Observation: So far I have spent many hours establishing my personal linked in
network

Observation: Apart from a certain degree of persistence I am not sure what
value I am getting from this exercise. All of my contacts are people I already
have as contacts.

Suggestion: I think that it is very useful for networking engineers to take a
look at the potential for such technologies and look for ways in which similar
features can be added to the open, standards based, unencumbered,
non-proprietary Internet.

Regret: We did not get out ahead of the curve with Instant Messaging. We should
have done Jabber in 1995.

Speculation: Social networking is looking for its killer application.
Communication filtering appears to me to be the most likely such application.
But we should be looking beyond email and the problem of email-spam to the
filtering requirements of a multi-modal communications infrastructure.

I think that hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com should be the only communications
identifier I need. From a personal perspective I prefer to eliminate the vendor
lock in and have an RFC822 address where I own the DNS portion of the
identifier.

Perhaps we should be looking at some form of rich multimodal second generation
of SIP in which social networking is a built in technology, introductions are a
first class message type, etc. etc. Identity 2.0 then becomes an instance.

The key being that any such technology must be based on DNS names and RFC 822
addreses.