Re: [Geopriv] Irregularities with the GEOPRIV Meeting at IETF 68

2007-04-18 16:09:54

Geopriv dropped because I'm asking a general question.

    >> AGENDA CHANGE
    >>
    >> The IETF process allows for agenda changes during meetings.  At
    >> the outset of the meeting, the agenda was changed substantially
    >> from the published agenda.  This change included removing the
    >> discussion of location signing and integrity and replacing it
    >> with an L7-LCP protocol consensus call.  However, evidence has
    >> arisen that the the Area Directors, Cullen Jennings and Jon
    >> Peterson, met privately with some participants of the GEOPRIV
    >> working group to inform them of this agenda change.  Cullen
    >> Jennings is the Area Advisor to GEOPRIV.
    >>
    >> If such meetings did occur, we believe them to be improper and
    >> to have potentially harmed the integrity and transparency of
    >> GEOPRIV and the IETF.  It is not proper for officiates of a
    >> working group to plan working group agenda changes and
    >> privately inform only select group participants.  Doing so
    >> disadvantages participants of the working group who have not
    >> been advised of this change.  This is especially true for this
    >> particular meeting as the agenda change precipitated 15 hums
    >> during the meeting.

I'm a bit concerned that I may regularly be doing something that the
geopriv chairs feel is inappropriate.  I'd lik e to discuss with the
wider community so I can change my practices if needed.

It's reasonably common that I will try to work with chairs and key
participants in a working group to find ways to unstick a working
group.  for example I may suggest to a chair that some issue needs
more time or ask why an issue that seems to be blocking the WG is not
on the agenda.

I think I've even solicited presentations (with the chair's
cooperation) to help educate the working group in an attempt to
unblock some issue.

Generally these changes are discussed with the WG at the beginning of
the meeting and if someone objected we would consider their objection.

I can see cases where this would be an abuse.  For example if I
suggested giving proponents of one proposal time but not proponents of
another proposal.  Or if someone claimed they needed more time to
prepare for a decision but were unable to have that time because of
agenda changes, that might be very bad.

However I do not see the problem with using hallway time to try and
fine tune the agenda to actually allow working groups to make forward
progress.

Sam Hartman
Security Area Director